Council Waste £1/2 Million of Ratepayers Money on Providing a Gun Club in the New Community Centre in Hamilton Road
At its June meeting North Down Council agreed to include a gun club in the basement of the new community centre the additional cost of £1/2 million. I opposed this decision because:
- It is a private club and cannot be used by ordinary rate payers.
- It is unbelievable that a gun club should be in the same building as a children’s playgroup.
- The Councils priority should be to keep down the rates in the present economic climate.
- The Council should not be financing a private club.
- The money could be more beneficially used in providing community / youth facilities.
1 GUN CLUB = 7 PLAYGROUNDS
My proposal to reject the gun club was defeated by 14 votes to 4 with all the unionist councillors present including independent unionists Lennon and Chambers voting to provide the club. I believe this decision was economically socially and morally wrong and must be reconsidered.
If you agree that the council should not spent £1/2 million of your money on a gun club let your Councillors know.